June 17, 2015

Home again, Home again, Jiggety Jig

I've been putting together this post since I got home just over a month ago. 
Now I am 2 1/2 weeks from heading off again. 

 (The Cardston Alberta Temple)

It is crazy to me that I spent almost 19 years of my life in the same town, excluding holidays and vacations. 
And now I am beginning the rest of my life, so here I am almost finished with year one of my post-Cardston life.

I love Cardston though.

I am so grateful for where I grew up and those I grew up with. 
One of my mother's favorite quotes is that it takes a village to raise a child. 

I feel that. 

Coming home for the summer I have been surrounded by my surrogate grandparents, my cousins not-cousins, my "aunts and uncles" and my second-moms. 
I have a whole unbiological family who I adore. 

And I am so grateful for them all. 

I have realized over this past year the power of community.

(Trip to the Calgary AB Temple Open House)

And this little town I live in, with just over 3500 people has shaped me and defined me. 

For better and for worse. 

I have watched people rally together to support families in trouble.
I have walked with my siblings and their little friends in the Cardston Kids Marathon year after year. 
I have been one of over a hundred young people who have spent their Friday afternoons at the Cardston temple.

I have also seen the problems that come with being in a small town. 

Judging. 
Racism.
Holier than thous. 

But at the end of the day I am so grateful for how I grew up.
I was loved. 
I was watched out for, even at the times I didn't want people keeping an eye on me. 
 And I always felt safe. 

(My teenaged paper route in the snow)

The other day my first grade teacher came by my work. 

And when she saw me we began talking. 
We talked about my life and what I was doing.
My goals and ambitions and plans for the future.
And she couldn't be prouder of me. 
We reminisced about what a great writer I was at age 7.

And I felt so grateful for the education I received at that moment. 

(Last first day of school)

The ideal education is having teachers who care about you.
Teachers who are invested in their students.
Teachers who inspire.
Teachers who love what they do.

Now I am not saying every teacher I had was perfect.
But looking back over the years I was very blessed.

(The Cardston AB Temple)

And I grew up in a town where I was surrounded by people who share my faith. 
That is an incredible experience in and of itself. 

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that, Cardston I am grateful. 

I have big dreams.
Dreams that are bigger than this little town and the opportunities available here.
But I love it here.
And I will always think of Cardston as home. 
The Temple. 
The Cemetery, which often was the only quiet place to think. 
Waterton.
Lee Creek. 
Carriage House Theatre.
My beautiful home.
The Atwood Soccer Park.
But mostly the people here make it home. 

(My Atwood Soccer Park)

Thank you Cardston. 

I love you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment